Hello from Glasgow

Hello! I am Rachel Erickson, the new CAM intern working at Glasgow Museums in Glasgow, Scotland. I’ve been in Glasgow for two months now and it’s time I introduced myself. I am from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and I graduated with my MA in Museum Cultures from Birkbeck, University of London. I worked for several years at the Winnipeg Art Gallery, where I gained most of my museum experience so far, primarily in public programming.

I am here in Glasgow to help organize CAM’s 40th Anniversary Symposium, “Taking it to the Streets”, which will focus on themes of participatory governance and community engagement in museums from all over the Commonwealth. I am also working with Glasgow Museum’s Curator of World Cultures on a new collection of contemporary art from northern India, an Art Fund project called “RENEW”. I am helping to coordinate a series of artist-led outreach workshops based on the different art forms represented in the collection.

I’m having an amazing time working at Glasgow Museums so far. The organization is always on the lookout for ways to engage new populations and bring the collections to the public, so there is always something new and exciting going on. Glasgow is the perfect location to celebrate CAM’s 40th anniversary and to host a dialogue on community engagement—next year’s triennial symposium is shaping up to be a great one. We are looking forward to seeing you all there!

This entry was posted in About CAM. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply